Friday 7 December 2012

Darrell Viner language.

Using the same plotted chart used for the main logo of the exhbition, and after Niall's fantastic suggestion of using the chart as a "language" that runs throughout the exhibition  I decided to start designing the way finding.


I then transfered this chart back into illustrator to vectorise.


This was the result. The beauty of using this chart is that you're not quite sure how the finished line would look until you plot it on the graph. This adds ambiguity and can be unpredictable. But this also means not all of them will work. I'm facing the same dilema of having the chart system result in a dull, lifeline looking line and in this case, a W. I resolved this problem by splitting the words Darrell and Viner into individual lines and joined them up. Seeing as it was the artist's name, this made sense. However, I am quite puzzled how I could resolve this issue with a single word such as TOILET.

Perhaps I could split it into TOI & LET..

For now I tried keeping the word on a single line and giving the symbol a more resolved look by joining up lines.



 It's actually turned out quite well.
But it'll be quite interesting to see how the TOI LET idea works out.

I've split the word as mentioned "TOI LET"


These are some of the finished results. It doesn't work quite as well as the previous design which is okay because it would be a shame to split a single word.

Next to the DARRELL VINER logo. TOILETS is not as successful as the core logo.
Using the Core logo as a guide, I tried some variations.


This seems to be the most successful, especially when next to the core logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment